Tuesday, August 5, 2008

My Handy Husband


I was reminded yesterday of what a incredible blessing it is to have such a handy husband. Due to a big storm on Saturday night, our A/C compressor stopped working. We suffered through Sunday and, after some trouble shooting, Ray OK-ed a phone call to a local A/C repair company. The technician came out yesterday afternoon (did I mention the house was getting HOT!!!??!), looked at the compressor for about 3 minutes and then wrote up a bill for over $500 dollars, to include parts and all labor.
$500!!!!
I called Ray to give him the details and he told me to find out what parts were needed, but that he would do the repair himself, thank you very much ... AND HE DID!!! The diagnostic by the technician was $89 and the parts were $30 ... you do the math. Ray saved us $400!!! It's so comforting to me to know that I do NOT have to subject myself to highway robbery. And if Ray doesn't know how to do it, he'll figure it out, that's for sure!
Not to mention that he's saved us thousands of dollars by doing so much of the labor during our home improvement phase on this house. He's learned plumbing, electricity, carpentry and more. The only thing, he says, that he hasn't learned YET is masonry ... and I don't doubt that he will!!
It's pathetic that, of the dozens and dozens of pictures we have of the remodeling process on this house, we have so very few shots of Ray actually working. They're mostly before and after shots of various rooms, but hardly any of Ray doing the work to get it from the before to the after. In fact, the top one is one of those rare shots but the one below is, well, if I tell you that baby is Cady, you'll know how old that picture is!!

3 comments:

paige said...

I am so jealous right now...what would it be like to have a handy hubby? I don't know. I'm still grateful for Ray for fixing our toilet that was still leaking after I paid a plumber $130 to not fix it! Ray was much cheaper (free) and it is still leak-free! Love me some handy Ray Ray!

BeachMom said...

I think this entry makes up for you telling the world about the mouse and Ray's reaction.

The Mechlings said...

I SURE HOPE SO!!!