Friday, April 25, 2008

A Dreaded Day!


Ah, one of those days that I have long been dreading arrived today. I know that most of the dreaded days are probably associated with puberty but I have really been dreading the day when Cady starts wanting to wear character clothing items. Not terrible in the larger scheme of things, I know, but I REALLY HATE all the Strawberry Shortcake and Princess (i.e. Cinderella, Snow White, etc.) CRAP that's out there. It's just so YUCK and I don't think it's cute at all, but I know that little girls LOVE it and that it why companies keep making it!

Anyway, we were shoe shopping today and I picked out a couple pairs of simple and, I thought, cute sandals for Cady to try on. She humored me briefly, complained that they were "too tight" and then spied the shoes pictured above, complete with light-up heels.



"I want THOSE, Mommy," she said, or something to that effect. She slipped them on her feet and looked at them longingly. After a moment passed, I presented another pair of shoes that I liked and asked her to try them on. This fashion struggle continued through several pairs of shoes until she sighed loudly and then muttered, "oh, I don't care."


Had I beaten her down so easily?? Oh, I don't think so. We ended up not buying any shoes for Cady and, after all, she was already wearing her Dora flip-flops.

4 comments:

Cindy Thomas said...

That was nicely said! I'm with you all the way! Emma's into wearing tu-tu's ALL DAY, EVERY DAY, EVERY WHERE! (Ya' know, I think we have to just remember that they're only little once...)

paige said...

don't cave! leave dora, cinderella, tinkerbell, and all the other cartoons on tv where they belong!!! I'm with ya!!

ps--what is up with having to type in the stupid "word verification" to submit your comment? I can't tell what the stupid letters are half of the time!!! here goes my fourth attempt!

Robin said...

They have their own minds don't they? I like the way that you spell her name!

Kris said...

Jen,
So good to hear from you! I'm glad to know that you're here in blogger world...let the stalking begin. ( : After reading this post, I found myself very happy that Ethan hasn't yet interjected his interest in anything with characters, I dread the day. We're having a little girl the first of July, so no doubt, the princess obsession coming. / : Your girls are adorable & you look great, as always. I'm sure I'll be in touch again soon. Thanks for getting us reconnected! Take care, Kris