Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Leaving my baby


Yesterday was a sad, sad day for me.

For various reasons, Ray and I have decided that it's time for me to test the waters and get my foot back in the classroom. So, I have committed to cover the maternity leave for a Spanish I teacher at an area high school. For the sake of clarification, I AM NOT PREGNANT!! It's someone else's maternity leave and it starts in 2 weeks. In order to make it all work, we enrolled Maddy at the preschool that Cady attends, which we love. Her first day was yesterday.

Ohhhhh, I was sad. Dreading it. She is so little. Not even 2. I took her into her new classroom last week, just to see it and she seemed quite happy, checking everything out. However, I was sure that she would just FREAK OUT when Mommy LEFT HER THERE.

Didn't happen. Cady and I went with Maddy into her new class and they both wandered off to explore. I chatted with the teacher for a minute then snuck out the door. I know "they" say that you shouldn't sneak off but I wussed out. I went on my merry way (ok, not so merry ... I cried in the car) and got SOOOOOO much done in 3 hours with zero children. When I returned to pick the girls up, I asked the teacher if Maddy had cried when I left. Nope. Just when Cady left to go to HER class. That's good, right??

7 comments:

Cindy Thomas said...

WOW Jen, she is so beautiful!

Butler Family said...

Awww. I would cry to. It would be so hard leaving the kids

paige said...

Just the thought of it makes me sad too. I hope that everything works out well with your return to working "outside" the home. I have to say, that, I've quite enjoyed my one day of work this year. It's a nice break from the usual--maybe it's because I've got three screaming at me now and it gets overwhelming at times!

Diane said...

She is such a cutie! I'm sure it was tough for you. Happy to hear that she did well.

Rushton Family said...

I am so glad the girls did well. Isn't that such a relief to know that they are happy and doing well when you can't be with them? Oh man I cried when I had to take Lexi to Lila.

Rushton Family said...

ohhh Jen, I was just looking at the picture again. She is so darling.

Tina - Ball Team Co-Captain said...

Yes, it is good that she doesn't always cry for Mom. It means she has self-confidence and security. Good job. It does make you wonder if she misses you, though, sure she does.