Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A Reading Mother

There are many things for which I hope that my girls express gratitude someday. One thing I hope that they learn to appreciate is the power of the written word and the sheer joy of losing yourself in a good book, although I hope that they have more willpower than I do to put that good book down! I pray that they may someday be thankful for a mother who read to them. Since I sometimes find them sitting alone in their rooms "reading" a book, I hope we're already on that path.




I stumbled across a poem the other day called "The Reading Mother" that expresses this perfectly. Here's a verse from it:

You may have tangible wealth untold

Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.

Richer than I you can never be.

I had a Mother who read to me.

Current favorites for the girls include "The Cat in the Hat" (Cady) and an Elmo lift-the-flap book about Balls and any book with pictures of babies in it (Maddy). As for me, I'm always on the lookout for a good book. I like historical fiction, biographies, and mysteries (Ok, Mary Higgins Clark is my guilty pleasure!). I DON'T like profanity, science fiction or books that take way too much mental effort to plough through. After all, I am reading for PLEASURE!

Some of my recent favorites have been:

  1. The Long Walk by Slavomir Rawicz -- this is non-fiction that reads like fiction

  2. Sunflower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See -- love, love, love this one!

  3. The Bean Trees and Pigs in Heaven both by Barbara Kingsolver -- both follow the same main character, good stuff about life and love, especially if you've lived in Arizona!

  4. The Chronicles of Narnia -- I try to read the whole series every year

If you have any recommendations, put it in a comment and pass it along!

5 comments:

Kate said...

I actually have read The Bean Trees and Pigs in Heaven. Loved them both.
I can't recommend any good books, it's been a while since I have induldged myself. :)
We started a book club, wish you were here for it. Just read Jane Eyre. I really enjoyed it.
Have you read the Twilight books? I liked them, didn't think they were the best books ever written, which is what some people choose to think, but I thought they were fun, and somewhat addicting!

Rushton Family said...

ohh, that is the cutest picture of Mady. Sooo sweet, great picture op.

BeachMom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

Good for you, Jen. I always remember you being a good reader. Your kids will be blessed for it.

Tammy T. said...

Hey Jen--I just finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. It was sooo good! I loved it! Good recommendation!